At Sara’s Cottage we want to make everyone’s stay as enjoyable as possible, and are committed to providing suitable access for all our guests, whatever their individual needs. We aim to describe accurately our facilities and services to give you the confidence to book in line with your specific requirements. Our cottage is rated by VisitEngland under the National Accessible Scheme.
We have available the following equipment for your use:
- Self-propelled Aquatec Shower and Commode wheelchair
- Smaller wheeled shower chair (not self-propelled)
- Static shower chair • Toilet seat raiser of 100mm
- Toilet surround • Bed blocks of 90mm
- Adjustable bed backrest
- Folding bed rail
- Over-bed table
Please note: The Aquatec Commode Chair will not fit over the toilet due to the waste pipe prohibiting the chair going far enough backwards. A guest therefore needs to be able to transfer to their right to use the toilet. The chair can be used as a night time commode. The maximum weight-load of our equipment is 150kg/23stone.
If you need any smaller equipment collecting in preparation of your stay please give us at least one week’s notice as we cannot collect on a changeover day.
Blue Badge Permit
If you are a Blue Badge holder you might be able to apply for a parking permit to park for free in Cornwall Council car parks, please see the link below:
The front entrance has level access with a ramp. The ramp is concrete and permanent.
There are no steps inside the cottage which is all on one level. There is level access from the main entrance to:
• Bedroom 2: Super-king or twin beds
• Bedroom 3: King or twin beds
• Family Bathroom
• From the lounge there is level access to Bedroom 1 and the Conservatory
• The hall is more than 800mm wide but the hall table restricts the width to 790mm.
The table can be removed upon request
Access with steps
There are steps from the back path to:
• Raised lawn
• There is also a grass sloped access area to the lawn from the left side of the cottage.
• We have non-feather luxury quality bedding in all bedrooms
• We have Egyptian cotton linen
• We have three bedrooms in total
• Two bedrooms have accessible en-suites see below for further information
• All bedrooms are on the ground level
• All light switches are no more than 1100mm high
• The television in the lounge has subtitles
The accommodation is currently rated by the National Accessible Scheme as suitable for:
• Older and less mobile guests
Please note: Our Access review following the installation of the wet-room has been delayed due to Covid 19 and is now due to be undertaken in November 2020.
Getting around inside
There are three bedrooms all on the ground floor:
• Bedroom 2 – Super-king zip and link
• Bedroom 1 – King
• Bedroom 3 – King zip and link
• Bedroom 2 has a window and door with level access to the outside patio
• Bedrooms 1 and 3 have French style doors which can be opened on a security lock for
ventilation. There is one step to the outside from these bedrooms
• All bedrooms have ceiling lights, bedside lamps and natural daylight
• All bedrooms are non-smoking
• All bedrooms have non-feather bedding
• We can move the bedroom furniture, to improve accessibility if required.
Level access Bedroom with wet-room
Accessible Bedroom (red room) Super-king zip and link bed and wet-room.
• The route to the bedroom is 800mm wide. The bedroom door is 800mm wide. There is 1300mm
at the side of the bed by the wet room door. The bed is 650mm high. There is 65mm under the bed.
• The door to the outside and patio is 860mm wide with no step
• There is a low removable clothes rail in the wardrobe which you can use sitting down
• There is a dressing table with a clearance height of 600mm
• The bedroom is flexible (either super-king or twin)
• The gap under the bed is 65mm
• There are bed blocks of 90mm available
• There is a turning circle of 1200mm in the bedroom
• There is a wall mounted TV with DVD facility and remote control
• The wet-room is en-suite. The wet-room door is 800mm wide
• The wet-room has a level access shower. There is a choice of shower chairs available
• There is a grab bar in the shower and an anti-slip mat is provided
• There is a hand held shower head which can be lowered to 1200mm from the floor
• There is also a top rain shower head
• There is a turning circle of 1500mm when shower screen is folded
• The direction of transfer onto the toilet is to the right
• There is more than 1000mm on the transfer side of the toilet and 30mm on the non-
• When facing the toilet there is a dropdown rail on the right and a fixed rail on the left
• The toilet has a fixed handrail on the non-transfer side (left) and a dropdown bar on
the (right) transfer side
• There is 1000mm in front of the toilet. The toilet seat is 510mm high.
• The taps are lever operated
• The basin is wall hung with a space of 710mm underneath, with no pedestal or boxing
• There is a magnified vanity mirror on the wall at 1100mm high
• There is a toilet surround available on request
• There is a toilet seat raiser of 100mm available
• There is a motion sensor light guiding you to the toilet at night
Accessible Bedroom (Purple room) – King size bed
• The route to the bedroom is 750mm wide. The bedroom door is 800mm wide. There is 600mm at the left side of the bed (next to en-suite door) and 750mm on the right. The bed is 650mm high. There is 280mm clearance under the bed
• The bed is fixed at King size. The shower room is en-suite
• The en-suite door is 750mm wide
• The shower cubicle is 1400mm by 650mm with an opening of 570mm
• The step height of the shower cubicle is 110mm
• There is an overhead shower and a hand held shower
• The shower has a handrail
• The toilet seat is 450mm high
• When facing the toilet there is a grab rail on the left side
• The basin is 850mm high. The taps are lever operated
• There is no space under the basin
• There is a wall hung magnified mirror at 1150mm high
• Space beside the toilet is 250mm on the left and 380mm on the right
• An anti-slip shower mat is provided
• This room is suitable for a guest with limited mobility at Level 1
• A wheelchair user cannot access this room
Lounge, Conservatory and Family Bathroom
• From the main entrance to the lounge, there is level access. The route is 800mm wide, or more. The door is 800mm wide
• There is a wood burning stove
• There is a heat alarm and carbon monoxide alarm
• The lounge area is open plan with the kitchen
• There is a fire safety rechargeable torch in the lounge
• Double doors with a width of 1000mm lead to the conservatory
• From the lounge, there is level access. The route is 800mm wide, or more. The double doors leading to the conservatory from the lounge are 1000mm wide
• There is a large 3 seater sofa and two armchairs
• One of the armchairs can be removed to facilitate a wheelchair
• Double doors with a width of 1550mm lead to the patio
• Accessed from the hallway with a door width of 800mm
• Washbasin height 800mm with lever taps and shaver point at 1100mm high
• Bath height 800mm with shower over and a grab rail
• Tap turners are provided
• A 100mm high step and extra suction grab bars are provided
• An anti-slip mat is provided
• When facing the toilet, a grab handle is located on the left side of the toilet
Garden and outside
• From the front door to the garden there are no steps
• There are no steps from the conservatory to the patio
• It is possible for a wheelchair user to access the patio using the level path around the right side of the cottage
• The laundry room is outside by the cottage gate and has a steep concrete ramp leading to the door. The door width is 900mm
• From the left side of the cottage there is level access to the back lawn.
• From the conservatory to the patio there is level access. The doors from the conservatory are 1550mm wide
• To get to the table there are no steps.
• The table is 760mm high with clear under space
• The door from Accessible Bedroom 2 also leads to the patio
Customer Care Support
• We provide extra mobility equipment as listed above free of charge
• The nearest toilet area for assistance dogs is the garden
• You can store a mobility scooter in one of our barns
• You can hire mobility equipment from Tremorvah Industries by phoning 01872 324340
• You can hire mobility equipment from by calling 01234 666 777.
Emergency evacuation procedures
• We have emergency evacuation procedures noted in the cottage and on our Guest Planner
• Guest information is on-line in the Guest Planner
• Should you need a large print copy of any information please ask
• Mobile phone reception is generally very good
• We can provide a telephone in the cottage and all calls must be paid for before departure.
• There are plenty of ideas for Accessible days out on our website and on our Guest Planner. Printed copies can be provided as can help from us during your stay.
• In the event of an emergency at night please telephone our landline 01872 279608 for assistance. During the day the best number is Diane’s mobile 07917 147281
• We have an open plan kitchen
• From the main entrance to the kitchen, there is level access
• The route is 800mm wide or more
• The door is 800mm wide
• All work surfaces and cooker hob are 900mm high
• There is no clear space under the worktops
• The table is in the kitchen area at a height of 770mm
• The table is 1600mm x 700mm and can be made smaller to 1100mm long when not in use
• There are four dining chairs with no arms and two carver style chairs with arms. The arm height is 620mm. All chairs have a seat height of 450mm.
• The sink is 900mm high
• The fridge freezer has three drawers starting at ground level and the fridge compartment is at the top starting at a height of 820mm
• The grill and smaller second oven in the Rangemaster oven is 700mm high with the main oven underneath
• Most of the crockery is kept in the base units and all of it can be moved upon request
• There is a minimum of 900mm clearance around the kitchen area
• We have a car park large enough for 3 cars. The parking area is part concrete part gravel.
The concrete area of the parking space is 2 metres from the main entrance and large enough to accommodate two cars. There is a slight concrete rise to the front door which is accessible by a wheelchair user
• If you need help unloading please let us know in advance so the we can help you
Travel by Public Transport
• You can get to Truro by bus and train. Both are 2.6 miles away. There is an accessible taxi service available
Travel by taxi
• You can hire a taxi with A2B taxis Truro – 01872 272989 or click here for their website. The taxi company has a wheelchair accessible vehicle.
• With prior notice we may be able to pick you up from Truro
Carrine Farm Kea, Truro, Cornwall TR3 6EB
Click the image below for directions.